Filing a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage

Jacksonville Family AttorneyWhen getting a divorce in Florida, you will have to file for a “dissolution of marriage.” There are a variety of forms that you and your spouse must fill out before you can start the divorce proceedings.

Your first move is to complete the “Petition for Dissolution of Marriage” form. It is important to note that Florida does not have a fault-based divorce. You will need to show the courts that the marriage is broken beyond repair or that your spouse has been mentally incapacitated for at least three years. Issues like abuse and infidelity will be reviewed when reviewing child custody, the division of property, and alimony issues.

If you and your spouse have agreed upon property division, do not have any kids, and are not seeking alimony, you can file a simplified dissolution of marriage. It is vital to remember that filing for a simplified dissolution means that you will be giving up a variety of rights. You should speak with a specialist to ensure every issue has been covered before starting this process.

Make the process of divorce as straightforward as possible when you have a talented Jacksonville family attorney assisting you. For more than 30 years, the team at Watson Henderlite, Family Law Attorneys, has been helping people in Jacksonville, as well as Clay, Nassau, Baker, and St. Johns counties.