An annulment, which is a court action that ends a marriage, is different from a divorce. Unlike a divorce, an annulment treats your marriage as if it never occurred. The courts can grant you an annulment, but you have to reach specific criteria in the state of Florida before they will consider granting you one.
Reasons for an Annulment:
- The Couple are Closely Related
- One Individual is Currently Married to Someone Else
- One or Both Individuals are Under the Age of Consent
- One of Both Individuals Were Unable to Give Consent Due to Inebriation
- An Individual Lied to Their Spouse about Something Vital to the Marriage
It is important to note that Florida does not have an annulment statute, which means you cannot just go down to the courthouse to have your marriage dissolved quickly. It would help if you had assistance from a specialist who can help you navigate this complicated journey. In fact, many couples choose just to get a divorce to make things less complicated.
If you would like to speak to a Jacksonville family attorney about annulments, divorces, child support, or any other family legal issue, you can come to Watson Henderlite, Family Law Attorneys, for assistance. We are happy to answer any questions you have about our practice areas.